Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Interview With Brodi Ashton



Today I'm thrilled to have Brodi Ashton, a fellow Balzer + Bray author, on the blog. I received an ARC of EVERNEATH (which hits the shelves 1/24) in the "welcome to B+B" package my editor sent. I was instantly drawn to the gorgeous and mysterious cover, so I decided to read it right away. Holy. Freaking. Cow. This book is amazing. It is beautifully written (I've never seen an author play with a timeline so successfully), the stakes are incredibly high, and it made me FEEL things. I cried, dear reader. And I also cursed Brodi's name for making me really like the villain. And the ending! *cries and screams and bribes her editor for an ARC of book two* If you don't read another book this year, you have to read this one. Trust me. Here's a peek at EVERNEATH:

Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath. Now she’s returned—to her old life, her family, her boyfriend—before she’s banished back to the underworld . . . this time forever. She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can’t find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these precious months forgetting the Everneath and trying to reconnect with her boyfriend, Jack, the person most devastated by her disappearance—and the one person she loves more than anything. But there’s just one problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who enticed her to the Everneath in the first place, has followed Nikki home. Cole wants to take over the throne in the underworld and is convinced Nikki is the key to making it happen. And he’ll do whatever it takes to bring her back, this time as his queen.

As Nikki’s time on the Surface draws to a close and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she is forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole’s queen.

Everneath is a captivating story of love, loss, and immortality from debut author Brodi Ashton.
I'm TeamJack all the way, baby. Except when I'm TeamCole ... *sigh* Brodi decided to take on our very own Captain Jack Sparrow, so before we get to the interview, let's meet today's guests.


Captain Jack Sparrow, savvy?





Brodi Ashton

Of course, before we get to the interview, we get to reveal the amazing cupcake my hubby made in honor of EVERNEATH. Cole (the smouldering immortal from the book's description) plays the guitar for a band called The Dead Elvises. My hubby made Cole's guitar pick hovering over a pit of underworld smoke. Isn't it amazing? Without further ado, I give you the awesome cupcake and Brodi vs. Captain Jack Sparrow.







1. Would you classify yourself as a pirate or a member of Her Majesty’s Royal navy? Why?


Well, I have to go with the pirate, mostly because the royal navy sounds a little boring, and I would hate to appear boring (she typed, as she sat in her house robe, sipping her tea, and wondering when she was going to take a shower next.)

But pirates probably don’t shower much either, so I’m a pirate!

2. So, you're saying your only qualification for being a pirate is a lack of personal hygiene? *sniffs* Darling, I've met freshly bathed pirates who smelled worse than you. You'll have to do better than that. What’s your favorite thing to do in Tortuga?

Oh, the usual. Pillage and plunder, and prune the hedges of many small villages.

3. I'm with you on the pillage and the plunder, but I'm rather hoping "prune the hedges" is a euphemism for something I probably shouldn't mention in polite company. I’m offering you free passage aboard my ship to anywhere in the world. Where shall we go, love?

I’m so happy you asked. We shall go to London. It is my favorite place in the world, and it’s where I went to school. I’m dying to go back.

4. Right into the clutches of that fat, foppish frumpet who sits on the throne? Darling, I begin to think you are one warm shower away from being a member of His Majesty's navy. Who is the hero of your story most like: me (savvy, debonair, and unquestionably smooth with the ladies), the insufferably honorable Will Turner, or that deceptive little minx Elizabeth?

Oh man, none of the above. Is there a fourth option? Something along the lines of a girl who has lost everything because of one bad choice? Because my heroine just happens to be a girl who has lost everything because of one bad choice.

5. I once lost my dignity, my appetite, and my hat because of one bad choice. I can sympathize. Rum? Or more rum?

Rum Cake.

6. Mmm, a woman who likes to have her cake and drink it too. Skip the shower. You may prune my hedges instead. While dining on rum cake, of course. Which leads me to the age old question: Why is the rum always gone?

In my book, it would be because the rock band The Dead Elvises made it to the rum first.

7. Scurvy bilge rats. *draws sword* Touch my rum once more, and I'll make sure the name "Dead Elvises" is entirely accurate. What’s the most piratish thing you’ve ever done?

You know that scene where they are dancing around a giant bonfire, fueled by rum? Well, when I was a girl scout, I made a fire. :)

8. As long as you don't use my rum to make the fire, we're peachy, love. Are they rules? Or more like guidelines?

Guidelines. Especially when I need them to be more like guidelines.

9. Never once have I failed to need them to be more like guidelines. I understand you’re a story-teller. Any undead monkeys in your stories?

No. But there are undead in my story.

10. The Elvises, apparently, though that could change at any moment. *watches rum like a hawk* Any curses? Heartless monsters? Irritating women who insist on taking matters into their own hands?

There are definitely heartless monsters. And by that, I mean the bad guy literally doesn’t have a heart.

11. Interesting. The bad guy in my world doesn't have a heart either. Or he didn't until I found it and stuffed it in a jar of dirt, but that's a rather messy tale for another day. One of my favorite words is “egregious.” Care to share one of yours, love?

That’s crazy, because I LOVE the word egregious! I’m also partial to “bulbous bouffant”, “macadamia”, and “gazebo”. But my favorite word of all time is “penultimate”.

12. Parlay? Or draw your sword?

Run and hide

13. Now you're talking. You’ve got a crowd of cursed sailors and a nasty sea monster on your trail. How do you escape?

Run and hide

14. Tried that. Didn't work. Better bring your hedge pruners with you just in case. Romantic night in? Or adventure on the high seas?

Romantic night in. And by “romantic night in”, I mean vegging on the couch with only my TiVo for company.

15. As long as I get the rum, you can do whatever you like. My personal motto is: Take what you want, give nothing back. What’s yours?

“Lately your low self-esteem is just good common sense.”



Thank you, Brodi, for such an entertaining interview. Of course, the fun isn't over yet! Brodi is giving away a signed EVERNEATH. The giveaway is open internationally and will run until 8 p.m. central time Monday, January 9th. To enter, simply fill out the form below and be sure to leave Brodi a comment at the bottom of this post.

To find out more about Brodi, visit her site. To purchase a copy of EVERNEATH, go here.





38 comments:

  1. Is that quote from Spanglish? Love that movie. And loved this interview! You two crack me up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Skip the shower. You may prune my hedges instead."

    You two are a riot!

    I can't wait to read EVERNEATH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome cover! And it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brodi, I can't wait to read Everneath! P.S. the cover is amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, loved the interview. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these, they're great, xD

    Grace. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was such a great interview! I've been looking forward to reading this book and now I'm even more excited! Thanks for the chance to win!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview. We could all use a little Captain Jack Sparrow in our life. And great books. Can't wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds fascinating, Brody. And always peachy to see you again, Captain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I keep hearing about Everneath on the blogs I read. Love the cover. Is this story a play on the Persephone myth? I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome interview. I love that cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would live to go to London. I'm so jealous you went to school there :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. This interveiw is hilarious! I can't wait for Everneath

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stephsco - It's a modern re-telling of the Persephone myth! The funny thing is I went into reading it without knowing that and never made the connection because I was too wrapped up in the story to think about anything beyond it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So funny! Everneath sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL! That was awesome. Now I have to watch Pirates of the Caribbean again.

    I was wondering about 'pruning the hedges,' too, actually.
    Also, TiVo's capabilities are pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent interview. I've been eying this book. And CJ? You do an amazing Jack, just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was quite possibly my favorite interview EVER. SO much fun to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was just made of awesome. So is Brodi! Definitely a riot :) Everneath is a great debut..can't wait for more :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brodi & CJ together on one place? This could only get better if it was in person! Like if CJ decided to crash the Launch party. ; D

    I absolutely LOVED Everneath! It's been torture waiting or it to actually be out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. OOH! I can't WAIT to read this one. Now I'm really sad I didn't make it to your house so I could steal this. I mean, borrow. Yeah, borrow.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bwahaha best interview ever! I would be a pirate too. Can't wait to read Everneath!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The first time I saw this cover I knew I was in love. Can't wait to read this book.

    Great interview. Always love Captain Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a delightful interview! Such a nice change from the usual. Hooray for EVERNEATH (and pirates everywhere;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Can't wait to read Everneath! Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love myth based retells. Everneath sounds cool.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Run and hide? Love it! Great interview. I am really excited to read Everneath.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a hoot loved the interview !!!! Cant wait to read Everneath ;) such a gorgussss cover !! thanks for the interview and great giveaway !!!

    kat

    kittee_cat@bigpond.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. :O) oops forgot to include direct link to your comp on my blog ;) here is it

    http://pageflipperz.blogspot.com/2012/01/interview-and-giveaway-over-at-last.html

    :) kat

    ReplyDelete
  30. Can't wait to read this book. Great interview, very funny. I would not want to be a pirate. I hate fighting. Thanks for the chance to win.
    christinebails@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I can't wait for this book to come out! And I love this interview!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Since my daughter speaks so highly of this book, I am sure I will read it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is one of my future reads! Cover lovee!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am dying to get my hands on this read! Should've known I could find it here. CJ has the awesomest authors over to chat!

    ReplyDelete
  35. So happy the Everneath release party's at King's English! Hope to win this amazing book to go with me to meet Brodi Ashton

    ReplyDelete
  36. CJ, I value your opinion immensely! This is now on my MUST READ list...now I know how to spend my GC at Barnes and Noble!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I would love to read a copy of EVERNEATH thank you. I know it will be amazing.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete

People who comment are made of awesomesauce with a side of WIN!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails